“7 steps to equal care”, launched by Enable Scotland and Macmillian is a useful Easy Read document to have in all hospital areas. It provides guidance to people with learning disabilities about getting good health care. By reading the document, healthcare providers gain insight of how information can be presented to different cohorts and the benefits of doing so. Service users get a step method to access care services.
The 7 steps in brief:
- Imagine being me.
- Find out who and what matters to me.
- Listen to me.
- Give me the information I need, in the way that I need it.
- Think about where we are.
- Work with others who are in my life.
- Giving treatment seems too difficult? Think again.